Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Review: The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

3 Stars


I have this bad habit when I’m reading particular books. As I’m reading, I precipitously nod off (I’m still reading, but unconsciously) My mind however has wondered off and I'm thinking about other things. Such as: “What should I eat tomorrow? Or “What the hell did I even do today?” Now, I don’t essentially notice I’m doing this, surprisingly. It’s only after a while when I return back to reading yet again, and the book is going on about something I don’t even remember occurring, I then comprehend that I must have nodded off. And the furthermost bothersome part about this habit is: I have to go back and read the section I missed, again. 

This happened more often than I'm able to count in the lovely bones. Don’t get me wrong, the lovely bones has a nice structured idea (not very original) but nonetheless a good Idea. 

However, the author accomplished to make my tedious life more entertaining than a book. Is that what the book lacked, entertaining the readers? The characterization was spot on for some characters, (not all) but then again that does not mean the characters were attention-grabbing. The book was intriguing at first. I’m not being a creep or anything, but the only stimulating part in the entire novel was the opening of chapter one, and that's when she gets murdered. The rest was in slow motion, and then in the last 100 pages it was instantly fast-tracked five years into the future. 



The book revolves around the family and friends of Susie who are coping with her murder. That was the whole plot.

Right at the end of the book the author does the unthinkable. She shatters all the rules she set out in the whole book about how the dead could not contact humans in anyway. But for some unexplainable reason Susie is able to get into Ruth’s body, and somehow control it. Now, that Susie is able to control Ruth’s body, rather than telling the police where her psychotic murderer could be found or where her dead body lay. Susie instead decides to have sex. Really?

This reminded me of Stephanie Meyer’s series - Twilight. Basically, Meyer spent the entire series telling us about how every new born vampire has a difficult time controlling their blood hunger. But however in the end Bella is just a natural at controlling her thirst. Waste of my life.

I still gave the book three stars because frankly it was not horrible. Just not as good as other people set it out to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment