Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Review: The Forest of Hands & Teeth by Carrie Ryan

1.5 Stars


The Forest of Hands and Teeth is nothing but mah. 

Props to the writer who faintly has beautiful way with words, but also has a way with boring me to tears. Yet, I can't tell if I'm bored stiff because of the way it’s written that causes my eyes to go heavy with sleep, or if perhaps it’s the plot. It could be the characters in addition. Or, possibly it’s all three combined together to make tremendously dreary story.

Here’s a little blurb about what the book is about.

The forest of hands and teeth is about a village under the leadership of the strict and enigmatic sisters. This village happens to be surrounded by zombies who continually attempt to break through the fences in order to devour the people. Mary’s great-great-great-great-great grandmother saw the ocean and her story has been passed down five generations. This becomes Mary’s bothersome and egoistic dream to see the ocean. 

Wait, sorry did I say that was a blurb or the WHOLE plot? It’s puzzling because I truly can’t tell the difference between the plot and the blurb. 

You can almost just predict what's going to occur in the story from merely the blurb. 

Fence + Zombies = that adds up to them finally managing to break through the fence, suddenly... doesn't it?

Mary + her ocean dream = her going through a boring journey to see the ocean.

I want to introduce to you the most selfish character in the book.

Of course it is none other than the main character Mary.

Here are some quotes to support my point. 

“Going down that path would kill us all, Mary,” Cass says. “You're selfish to want to sacrifice all of us for your own whims.” (Thanks Cass for pointing how much a selfish bitch Mary is). 

“You are a Guardian. Killing the Unconsecrated is what you are trained to do. You've put us all in danger by keeping her alive. You know the rules.” (This is what Mary says to her own brother to convince him to kill his wife. She says as if it was so simple). 

“I have known love,” I whisper, as much to myself as to my brother.

He lifts a corner of his lips, almost smiling. “You can't ever have known love.” I am about to protest when he holds up a hand to stop me and continues, “Because if you had you wouldn't be telling me to kill my wife as if it were an easy choice.”
 (You just got slammed Mary). 

Cass (her best friend) is sobbing because virtually she has lost everything in her life. Travis attempts to comfort her, while Mary stands there getting jealous because he is. 

I have nothing against selfish characters. It makes them human. But Mary is just abusing how selfish you can be. 

I’ll finish the review after I complete the book. If I can. 

*EDIT*

Okay, I'm officially through with this book. I've lost all hope for finishing it. 

Mary was growing out to be a little bit more selfless, but it wasn't sufficient to make me continue reading the book. 

Here’s a random quote:

"Travis, whose breath I measure as we sleep, whose heart
is the cadence to my life."
 *gag* I don't know about you Mary, but if I was being haunted or tracked by zombies, I would try to save my energy to fight them off the next day if they ever attack. I wouldn't be wasting my sleeping time measuring someone's breath. Edward much? 

I also realized the two characters can’t take responsibility for their own faults and blame God constantly for their obligation. One of the characters slipped and fell. He thought it was god’s punishment for being unhappy with the choices he had made (What choices? Oh you mean the ones you never really made). Mary is too selfish to comprehend it was her mistake and not god. It’s ironic because she doesn’t believe in god any longer, but she blames him still. I dislike characters who can’t take the fact it was their responsibility and no one else. 

I found out what happened at the end. WORST ENDING EVER. 

Completely done with this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment