Pages

Monday, November 16, 2015

4 Stars

It was depressing and uplifting at the same time.

Maybe, it’s just me, but the beginning of the book has a very YA feel to it. I just felt like pointing that out.

Aside from that, I thought this book captured depression really well. I’m aware Sylvia Path experienced severe depression in her life, which gives ‘The Bell Jar’ more credibility in the subject.

I think a majority of people expect depression to derive from some traumatic event or accident, but for many it’s subtle before it descends upon the person with full force. Sylvia Path didn’t fully make it clear on what made Esther so gloomy. For me, I think Esther simply begins to question aspects of her life, and essentially, her entire existence, and founds herself unsatisfied with her present and all the types of futures which she imagines for herself.

A lot people may say, ‘oh she’s so selfish. Doesn’t she know others have it worse than her?’ Sylvia Path addresses this train of thought in the book. Although Esther knew other people had it worse than her, it never soothed her depression. I think Esther simply finds her life to be hollow, meaningless, repetitive, planned out (getting married and having children). There was no sense of a solid purpose to her life. I think this strong realisation must have slowly propelled her to depression and insanity.

That’s how I interpret the novel anyway. I understand that people find Esther to be quite self-centred. After all, she is a middle class, straight-A student from a good home. However, I don’t see how that leaves her out from experiencing depression. I believe depression is universal. It doesn’t have to be triggered by the loss of someone or some terrible accident or event. It can be triggered by hopelessness, uncertainty and range of other emotions.

This was even apparent in Hamlet by Shakespeare, which I read recently. Although some might argue that Hamlet’s desire for suicide may stem solely from his father’s death, it is evident throughout the play that it’s the little purpose which Hamlet feels in his life that drives his depression and insanity just as much.

I also like how this book doesn’t over dramatize Esther’s descent into depression and insanity like so many movies and books do with their characters. All in all, I found it very enjoyable and interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment